Repurposed Soda Can Wall Art
By: Tiffany Windsor
Before you toss your soda can, take a second to consider the creative possibilities! Make Repurposed Soda Can Wall Art from Tiffany Windsor and find a sense of empowerment! Repurposing materials for crafts like this is a great green option.
- Julianna Hudgins Spellbinders Dies (available at your local scrapbook, craft and hobby stores. Visit www.spellbinderspaperarts.com for store locations): LF-013 Jewel Goddess, S5-097 Jewel Treasures, S5-098 Jewel Stones
- Soda cans
- Craft knife
- Jacquard Pinata Alcohol Inks (colors of your choice)
- Jacquard Extender
- Cosmetic sponge(s) (I cut each sponge into several pieces)
- Craft wire (colors of your choice for jump rings and hair) or purchase ready-made jump rings
- Pencil – for wrapping to create jump rings
- Wire cutters
- Round nose pliers
- Select soda cans that are large enough for the small goddess die. (I used Monster Drink.) Cut the top and bottom off with a craft knife and then cut down one side with scissors to create a flat piece. To help the soda can lay flat, roll the opposite way.
- Keep a hold of the tightly rolled can for a few seconds and then lay it back on your work surface.
- Prepare the die for cutting by placing on the silver side of soda can. Next place it between the Grand Calibur cutting pads and run through machine.
- Once you have cut your piece, leave it in the die and place it on the embossing pads and run through machine. Your piece will now be cut and embossed.
- Carefully remove the soda can from the die.
- Your piece should now look like this. If you want, you can add more embossing design detail with stylus.
- Lay shape on work surface and add inks.
- Dab inks with sponge to cover entire surface.
- Continue to blend.
- If desired, add more ink colors.
- Blend together until you have achieve the coloring you desire.
- If desired, spray Extender over the ink to create splotches on the color.
- Cut additional pieces from Stone die shapes and color with alcohol inks.
- To create the head, cut a piece of soda can to the approximate size that you want the head. Place the Swirl die face down on the printed side and run through the embossing plates only.
- Remove die carefully to reveal the design. Use scissors to cut to exact head size. Color with alcohol inks.
- To create jump rings, wrap wire around pencil. Cut every other loop to create a doubled jump ring.
- Punch holes at top and bottom of all pieces and additional holes for head.
- Join all the pieces together with the jump rings.
- To create hair, use pliers to create swirls on end of wires. Insert through a punched hole and insert straight end up through another hole. Use pliers to create swirl in remaining end. Repeat until you have created desired wired hair effect.
Read more at http://www.favecrafts.com/Green-Crafting/Repurposed-Soda-Can-Wall-Art#YYIhyL63pjbQ6Clm.99